Welcome!

Hi Everyone! My name is Kate Pollard and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management through CQUniversity, based in Noosa. As part of my studies, I am taking part in a course entitled “Managing E-Learning” which explores the range of technologies available for implementation within learning environments in the 21st Century, and also focuses on equipping prospective teachers with the necessary knowledge and skills required to successfully implement these tools. My journal entries in this Blog will reflect my learning in this subject, as I begin to discover, experiment and become acquainted with new technologies. I can’t wait to share this journey with you all and hear your comments, as I begin to discover what this world of technology can offer!

Monday, August 9, 2010

Etherpads


Last year during a University assignment, I experienced using what is referred to as an Etherpad. When I first used this form of digital tool, I had no idea what it was! For this reason, I really wanted to find out more information so that I could tell you all about this great tool!

An Etherpad is similar to the Microsoft Word program, however an Etherpad is online! It has very similar functions to Word, however it allows many people to be accessing/editing the same piece of work! How practical and useful does that sound!?

Last year, I used one for a group assignment as it was difficult for us all to meet at the same place at the same time due to young families and location differences. We set up an Etherpad so that we could all log on from our home computers and access our group assignment. We all had different colour codes, and we were all able to edit/add/delete information on the assignment, at the same time! It was so useful!

To experiment with this tool, I logged onto PrimaryPad and began to create my own pad. This public site allows me to post information and invite other users to post more information or edit what I have written. The main site page for PrimaryPad explains directions for using the program, however the steps are so easy I will explain them and you can have a go too!

Looking at this print-screen I have added, my name is listed on the right-hand column, with the colour purple next to the name. This is the "code colour" for the Etherpad Member "Kate ". To add users to this Etherpad I would click the "invite" button in the right column under my name. This would invite other specified people to view and use the Pad. Like me, they would be able to record their name in the right column and then choose their own code colour. We could then insert a document we wanted to work on, or start from scratch. Then, we could all sit, accessing the same Etherpad, seeing the various people edit/change/add to this document. The colour coding is a great way of identifying the various people, and there is an instant-chat option at the bottom of the right column as well.

I think this is an excellent resource for any classroom environment! I think this tool is applicable for all age groups, because it is so easy to use and access!

P:
 Easy to access
 Easy to use
 Encourages collaborative work
 Allows students to be at home or at school and still access the program
 Allows students to chat instantly while they are working
 Is easily colour-coded to identify users
 Is real-time so users can see the work as it is edited
 Allows users to access and edit existing documents, or create new ones
 Allows users to be in completely different locations, but still able to edit work as a whole group

M:
 Is only really applicable for editing documents. It is not a tool like a Blog that can be added to throughout time and is used as a source of journal entries. Etherpad’s are purely productive and practical.
 Does not incorporate creativity in its use as there are limited options that students are able to chose from with regard to the program’s functions

I:
 This ICT tool could be easily integrated into the classroom environment when performing group work activities, or even as an alternative for Microsoft Word
 If the teacher signed up all the students to the particular Etherpad site, it could be used as a productive class program whereby the teacher adds a task like “List all the adjectives you can think of” and the students are required to write down all of the adjectives they can think of in a specified time, making sure they do not repeat any words other people in the class might be adding.
 Could be used as a medium for writing a book about the class. Each class member may be asked to write a paragraph about him/herself and add it into the Etherpad where the teacher can access the finished document.
 Could be used after an excursion, for students to write a joint report about findings from the excursion. To encourage group interaction, the teacher could even allow the students to decide on who will do what on the Etherpad. This would require students to work together and experience delegating skills, in order to complete the requirements.

I think this tool is great! I will definitely use this tool in my classroom – I think it is so practical, productive and useful!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate,

    I have never heard about Etherpads before. Your blog posting and analysis has given me some new insights and I look forward to experimenting with this tool. After reading your analysis and explanations of Etherpads I can make some connections to Kearsley and Shneiderman’s Engagement Theory (1999). This theory is based on creating collaborative projects that are meaningful outside the classroom contexts. Your example of using the Etherpads during your group assignment is what triggered this connection. Let me know what you think.

    Cheers
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate and Pauline,

    I was having a look at Pauline's blog and decided to have a look at Etherpads too. These truly are a fantastic tool for learning! I can see how students will become actively engaged with this tool as they collaboratively learn in a safe and teacher monitored environment.
    This tool is quite similar to a Wiki, however I think is would be more appropriate for lower primary students as it is easier to navigate and understand, the colored text makes it clear who the information has come from and the icons are very self explanatory.
    For a number of years I was a home-tutor (through Distance Education) in rural and remote parts of Australia. I can see this tool could used for students to communicate and collaboratively learn with their peers who are hundreds of kilometers away.
    Thank you for sharing this impressive tool. I will add it to my Weebly Website which is a collection of internet resource sites which I think will be useful for my classroom, it can be found at this link: http://interactivelearningactivities.weebly.com/index.html. You are welcome to use these resources and contribute to this site too!

    Have a great day!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Pauline and Anna for your feedback!
    I am glad you were both able to experiment using this tool too! I think you both have some very interesting ideas of the application for this tool - Pauline, I really liked your link to expert theories, and Anna, I think that this tool would be very effectively implementing for Distance Education!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete