Welcome!

Hi Everyone! My name is Kate Pollard and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management through CQUniversity, based in Noosa. As part of my studies, I am taking part in a course entitled “Managing E-Learning” which explores the range of technologies available for implementation within learning environments in the 21st Century, and also focuses on equipping prospective teachers with the necessary knowledge and skills required to successfully implement these tools. My journal entries in this Blog will reflect my learning in this subject, as I begin to discover, experiment and become acquainted with new technologies. I can’t wait to share this journey with you all and hear your comments, as I begin to discover what this world of technology can offer!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Digital Video

Throughout both my school and university education, I have encountered use of digital tools such as PowerPoint. However it was not until now that I have been introduced to the “Movie-Maker” program. I decided to experiment with this program because I was scrolling through the automatically existing programs on my computer and came across this program. I didn’t realise that this program was already on my computer, I thought I would have to install it. Knowing nothing about how to operate this program, I would have to comment that it was very user-friendly! The captions providing instructions were very helpful and it didn’t take long at all to create my own movie! I see great potential for this type of resource in the classroom. Also, I did some further reading on this, and discovered that Schuck and Kearney (2004, p.8) state that using digital video with classrooms creates very positive effects. Using research, these two experts state that the following student learning outcomes are directly related to the incorporation of this technology:  “Development of movie-making skills  Development of spoken and written literacies  Development of media literacy skills  Improvement of presentation skills  Understanding of the subject content or topic  Increase in autonomous behaviour  Increased engagement and motivation” (Schuck & Kearney, 2004, p.8-9) After reading through these facts, I began to reflect on all the possible uses for this form of technology in the classroom, some of my ideas I have listed below:  Assessment piece – students required to make a movie outlining their journey through a specified area of learning  Used as a resource to collate ideas using images and words  Used as a culminating tool – to display students’ activities to peers or parents  Used as the assessment piece for a Technology unit – students put together a movie showing the progress of an invention process  Used as a form of stimulus for literacy learning – students are presented with an image of movie, from which they must make their own meaning and write a story I think that this tool would be easily implemented within any age group. One issue I see however would be that of Copywrite regarding the images used. This would be a difficult aspect to manage as students could be finding images from a number of resources and by law, these would need to be correctly referenced. One way to cater for this aspect that I can see however would be that the teacher goes through and creates an easy-to-access folder on the student computers, consisting of a variety of images that the teacher has pre-selected and referenced. This way, the teacher could instruct students to simply choose pictures from only that folder; however this would be somewhat limiting for the students and time-consuming for the teacher. Overall however, this is a tool I would aim to implement into my own classroom! Below is a digital video I created using Movie-Maker and a collection of my own photos, have a look!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kate,

    I think that you were lucky in regards to already having movie maker on your computer ! I agree, it is very easy to use and I enjoyed watching your video of the underwater life. Above you state that copywrite can be difficult when students within the classroom are all searching for images and monitoring how they are souced. I agree with your response ... 'One way to cater for this aspect that I can see however would be that the teacher goes through and creates an easy-to-access folder on the student computers, consisting of a variety of images that the teacher has pre-selected and referenced,' . Movie maker and powerpoint are used so often in school that being up to date with knowledge on how to use it is vital I think as a teacher or learning manager, as stands the title ' Lifelon learning'. Whats alarming is how easily kids can pick up technology and learning, because they were introduced to it at such an early age!

    ReplyDelete