Welcome!

Hi Everyone! My name is Kate Pollard and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management through CQUniversity, based in Noosa. As part of my studies, I am taking part in a course entitled “Managing E-Learning” which explores the range of technologies available for implementation within learning environments in the 21st Century, and also focuses on equipping prospective teachers with the necessary knowledge and skills required to successfully implement these tools. My journal entries in this Blog will reflect my learning in this subject, as I begin to discover, experiment and become acquainted with new technologies. I can’t wait to share this journey with you all and hear your comments, as I begin to discover what this world of technology can offer!

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Learning Objects

Over my time studying, I have seen several learning objects successfully put into practice within classrooms. Myself, I have been able to familiarize myself with the Curriculum Exchange site and last year during my professional practice, I was able to implement some of these tools in the classroom as the room I was in had a SmartBoard, making it easy to access these objects for the class.
I think the Curriculum Exchange is a fantastic resource for teachers and I have seen first-hand how effective these tools are with the students!
I can see that these tools would be effectively used in all contexts for learning, as the learning objects range from working to acquire new knowledge for students, through to extension of knowledge. Of course it depends on the context in which these tools are used, however I think that teachers could easily place these tools into learning experiences to teach new concepts, or even for assessment at the conclusion of a unit of work.
From my observations of these objects being used, I have seen how younger students become captivated and engaged by this varied teaching medium. For all these reasons, I believe that this form of tool would be fantastic in the classroom!
Thinking about my current practice however, I would have to admit that I cannot see myself implementing these learning objects into my own classroom. Although I recognise that they are an incredibly valuable resource, the classroom that I am currently working within, has only a couple of computers and no group ICT facilities such as a SmartBoard. With these limitations, I cannot see how I would be able to integrate learning objects regularly into the classroom, except for perhaps into ICT time in the large computer lab. If anyone has some ideas bout how I would be able to get around these limitations, please comment on this post as I am eager to find a solution so that perhaps I could integrate this tool into my classroom!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, I used learning objects for students who were gifted - if they worked on a LO that was problem-based, and extended them into broader or deeper knowledge about a topic, it wold provide greater opportunities for them to learn.
    At other times, working with students at or beyond level, a great opportunity would be to scaffold and reinforce learning of those who are less able through the use of well-structured and appropriate learning objects. In all cases, with only three or four computers, learning objects support teaching for difference

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Kate,
    LOs can also be used with the whole class in an explicit teaching episode. For instance on the data projector as a joint task. This is particularly useful in Early Childhood. Data projectors are relativley inexpensive (compared to IWBs at least)
    At worst perhaps in small groups around a desktop or laptop with an adult facilitator.
    Smiles
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete