Welcome!

Hi Everyone! My name is Kate Pollard and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management through CQUniversity, based in Noosa. As part of my studies, I am taking part in a course entitled “Managing E-Learning” which explores the range of technologies available for implementation within learning environments in the 21st Century, and also focuses on equipping prospective teachers with the necessary knowledge and skills required to successfully implement these tools. My journal entries in this Blog will reflect my learning in this subject, as I begin to discover, experiment and become acquainted with new technologies. I can’t wait to share this journey with you all and hear your comments, as I begin to discover what this world of technology can offer!

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Spelling City



SpellingCity is an online spelling resource to use for all ages! By accessing this site, students can list their own spelling words, and then be taken through a process of being tested on these words, to then being taught these words, and then finally putting these words into practice.
I tried using this tool and I think it would be very useful as a practice tool for students to use either at school in small groups, or at home as a homework task.
The way the program works, is students are able to access the site and carefully type in their spelling words straight from their list. Students then click the “Test Me” button, and the program will provide students with the word verbally, and also the word placed into a sentence verbally. Students are then required to type in the spelling for each word. Once this is completed, students can have their words marked by the program, and then students click on the “Teach Me” button, which provides students with the spelling of each word correctly. Once students have completed this part of the program, they can then choose from a range of games that work to integrate this new knowledge by asking students for example, to write a sentence containing the words. According to Marzano, Pickering, Arredondo, Blackburn, Brandt, Moffett, Paynter, Pollock, & Whisler (2006), I think this program acts to effectively take students through a knowledge acquisition and integration process by requiring students to learn and then practice the new skills. In my opinion, I believe this program would be very useful within classrooms however I think that it would be required to test students again after they have used the program, as a way of checking for learning. Despite this however, I think this program would be engaging for students and would be an appropriate way for students to learn their weekly spelling!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kate!

    Wow, SpellingCity sounds like a fantastic tool to use in the classroom!

    Spelling is so important especially in the younger years and by having a great tool like SpellingCity our students could really benefit! It sounds like a great way to incorporate ICTs into the classroom.

    You said that SpellingCity reads out the students spelling words and places them in a sentence which sounds like a great way to deliver spelling in the classroom. I actually have thought about doing the same thing but the teacher could enter the spelling words and sentences into a Voki. I’m not sure if you have heard or thought of this idea, but if you like that way of delivering spelling words, it’s a suggestion for your future practice!

    You have stated that “according to Marzano, Pickering, Arredondo, Blackburn, Brandt, Moffett, Paynter, Pollock, & Whisler (2006), I think this program acts to effectively take students through a knowledge acquisition and integration process by requiring students to learn and then practice the new skills”. I totally agree with you because this type of activity heavily relies on the students acquiring their knowledge not only of their spelling words but also technology and it is vital for the students to integrate this knowledge in order to proceed with the activity and to be successful.

    A positive I have thought of about this program is that it really encourages independence within the children. Whether the children are working individual, in pairs or in small group work it is up to them to complete the activity and to acquire and integrate the necessary knowledge to be successful.

    I do agree with you and believe that for the tool to really be completely beneficial the students would have to complete their spelling words twice as a check for learning. This will not only provide the teachers with an insight into how the students are travelling but also the students as it would be their responsibility to try and improve the second time round. The students would also be able to view what they need to work on in their spelling to improve.

    This tool is a great discovery Kate! I too would use it within my classroom!

    Anna.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou for your comment Anna!
    I had not thought of using a Voki as an alternative to Spelling City - good idea!
    As you have said, spelling is a funamental part of education, and so I think this program would make spelling fun, enjoyable and engaging for students!
    In my post I hyperlinked the website if you would like to go on and have a trial of the program!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, spelling is a fundamental part of education!
    I will definitely trial the program myself so that I can use this tool in my classroom!
    Thanks Kate!
    Anna.

    ReplyDelete