Welcome!

Hi Everyone! My name is Kate Pollard and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management through CQUniversity, based in Noosa. As part of my studies, I am taking part in a course entitled “Managing E-Learning” which explores the range of technologies available for implementation within learning environments in the 21st Century, and also focuses on equipping prospective teachers with the necessary knowledge and skills required to successfully implement these tools. My journal entries in this Blog will reflect my learning in this subject, as I begin to discover, experiment and become acquainted with new technologies. I can’t wait to share this journey with you all and hear your comments, as I begin to discover what this world of technology can offer!

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Podcasts

Wow, I’ve just explored Podcasting and I have discovered so much about this technology tool. I have always heard people talk about their “Podcasts”, and I’ve even been asked if my lectures are available on Podcasts. But I have never had any understanding with regard to what these people are talking about!
I’ve just done some reading about Podcasts however, and I now understand this tool to be an audio file, which has to ability to be played on a variety of media devices. Like the Google Reader feed, which automatically sends feeds and new blog entries to a stated domain, a Podcast feed, can allow all new Podcasts in the nominated strand, to be directed to the media device. This allows the owner of the device, to listen to the Podcast, as though listening to the radio, or a CD. Podcasts are an excellent way to represent information, as they can be listened to, whenever it suits the particular person. For example, within the University context, students could listen to a Podcast about a lecture they have missed, on the way home from work one day.
Podcasts can be created by anyone, and according to the “Magic of Learning” (2010), there are many skills that are developed as a result of Podcast creating, such as:
 Writing skills
 Speaking skills
 Presentation skills
 Communication skills
 Media literacy
 Oral fluency
 Technology skills
 Auditory skills
 Storytelling skills
 Information literacy

Although I have come to understand that Podcasts are a valuable and effective tool for conveying information and also for developing skills, I really don’t see myself implementing this tool within my classroom setting. Perhaps this form of technology could be used within Virtual Classrooms? However I really think that Podcasts are more suitable for University students, whom are on the go and can listen to these files while they are completing other activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment