Welcome!

Hi Everyone! My name is Kate Pollard and I am currently studying a Bachelor of Learning Management through CQUniversity, based in Noosa. As part of my studies, I am taking part in a course entitled “Managing E-Learning” which explores the range of technologies available for implementation within learning environments in the 21st Century, and also focuses on equipping prospective teachers with the necessary knowledge and skills required to successfully implement these tools. My journal entries in this Blog will reflect my learning in this subject, as I begin to discover, experiment and become acquainted with new technologies. I can’t wait to share this journey with you all and hear your comments, as I begin to discover what this world of technology can offer!

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Blogs

Upon beginning this course, I had a limited idea about what a Blog actually was. Often I have heard people talk about their Blogs, but it isn’t until now, that I actually understand what they were all talking about! I am definitely still finding my feet and trying to work out how to use the vast range of features on a Blog, but I am enjoying learning how to use this tool.

After reading up on Blogging, I now realise that it is just another way of communicating with others. Blogging allows users to share ideas online! Blogs are a Web 2.0 tool, which allows a creator to offer information, newly learnt knowledge or practical facts about various topics in the style of a journal entry. Blogs are effectively created for both educational and professional uses which offer readers valuable opinions and information personally gained by the Blog owner; and right at your finger-tips!

With technology on the rise within society and schooling, personally Blogging sounds like an advantageous activity to use within the school environment. Using this medium for learning would allow students to share their ideas, responses and reflections on various topics taught throughout the curriculum, or in general. This form of collaborative learning, not only incorporates peer sharing and communication, but also produces friendships and deep, meaningful conversations. These are just a few of the advantages that I predict Blogging within classrooms would produce, however the positive impact student Blogging would have on writing skills and reading skills, I believe would also be noticeable.

Although this digital tool seems to be highly effective, as I am currently in a Year Two class, I cannot see a foreseeable use for this technology within this year level. Despite the facts that this tool would be beneficial for learning, I believe that it is not a tool suited to this age level, taking into consideration technological competencies. However upon teaching other age levels, Blogging is most certainly a tool I would consider implementing within my classroom!

No comments:

Post a Comment